Friday, July 6, 2012

Dusty Moto.

My GS is sad and lonely. (Sounds like the start of a moto blues song.) I dusted her off and rode to work yesterday. I had an appointment at Mike's Motorcycle to have the fork seals replaced.

I usually drop off the bike in the morning before they open and let them have it all day. I am generally done with my day at about 5pm. In the summer they close at 5:30 so that works for all parties involved. Yesterday, they were done early. I walked over about 2:30 or 3 to pick up the bike. On my way back to the office, the sky looked kind of weird. You may have heard about our wildfires. We've had very smokey, hazy skies all summer long. Some days worse than others. The last two days we haven't been able to see the mountains because of the smoke. Yesterday was like that. But, as I headed back to my office, the sky was a different color than it was earlier in the day. I still couldn't see the mountains but it was more of a grey color. I stared and stared before I realized, it was rain! We haven't seen rain in so long I'd forgotten what it looked like. It was up the canyon a bit not falling in the city.

I worked for a bit longer before thinking I should probably head home if I didn't want to be caught in the storm. (Actually, I wasn't moving too quickly.) I gathered my gear and stepped out into a darkening sky. Hmm. There was a nice cool breeze. It was refreshing after another 100 degree day. But, the reality was, there was a storm coming and I had a 40 minute drive to get home.

I debated, because it wasn't actually raining yet, about putting on my rain jacket and pants. I went with the jacket but decided against the pants because I hadn't sealed them since the last wet weather ride. It was so hot with the rain jacket on. I rode a couple of miles before the rain enveloped me. Yay! There wasn't much lightning to speak of so it was a very comfortable, cool, and refreshing ride. But the rain was very heavy. It pooled on the road very quickly. The drops were so large I thought it was hail. You could see the drops splashing as they hit the water pooling on the road. And there was a crosswind. It was so much fun! I waved to a passing rider on another adventure touring bike. And then watched the guy on the Harley ahead of me pull over. He had on a t-shirt and jeans and no helmet or gloves. I resisted the urge to wave as I rode past him. The sport biker behind me also pulled over. He did have on a moto jacket and helmet but just jeans and sneakers. I didn't have my rain pants on so my mesh pants quickly became soaked, as did my shorts I was wearing underneath. But, my moto boots kept my lower leg and feet dry. My mesh and leather gloves soaked up the rain quickly as well. But, I was comfortable and didn't feel the need to pull over and be soaking wet.

I rode out of the storm in a short time. By the time I got home my jacket and mesh pants had dried. My shorts were completely soaked but felt like air conditioning for the remainder of the ride. That was nice.

I also wore my new Shoei Qwest for the first time. One thing I noticed right away is how much better my peripheral vision is. I can actually see to my sides without turning my head too much. Wow! I didn't realize how much I'd missed that. It's so nice. It's also very quiet. That was my main problem with the Icon. I do need to put the chin guard thingy in. Riding in the rain, if I tipped my head a certain way, I could feel the rain coming under the helmet. I just didn't have time to fiddle with it this morning. I'll play around with it this weekend. It also feels lighter than my old helmet. I think it'll work just fine.

I'm glad I didn't see this review before I decided against the Schuberth. I'd be much poorer and maybe in the dog house with my husband. Maybe in 4-5 years when I need a new helmet the price will have gone down, or I'll have a job that pays me a lot more money. I'm hoping for both of those things. :-)

It had been a long time since I'd ridden the GS. I was a little worried she might not start. But, no problem there. I have a moto riding lunch date on Monday. The weather is supposed to be nice and cool in the 80s I think. That's actually not cool but closer to normal for us. I'll take it though. It's also supposed to rain for the next few days. We say it every year but this year, we REALLY need the moisture. Seriously, the state has been on fire all summer. Smokey days don't make for comfortable riding.

Less than three weeks until our wedding anniversary moto riding vacation to the Colorado National Monument! :-)

2 comments:

  1. The rain would've washed off the remaining dust and cobwebs! I cand imagine wearing rain gear with triple digit temperatures. Sounds miserable. I hope you aren't feeling the effects of the fire. Even just the smoke is pretty miserable.

    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Only the smokey side effects are reaching us right now. The fire outside of Boulder was a bit unnerving but wasn't a direct threat to me or my job. Some of my friends and coworkers were in the potential path for a day or two but the fire crews were able to contain that one fairly quickly. There is a fire near where we are headed for vacation. We'll be keeping an eye on it before we head out.

    ReplyDelete