Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Motorcycle Training

I'm investigating my next moto class. I really like taking the classes. It keeps my knowledge fresh in my mind and helps me to practice good habits. So, what should I shoot for this season? I'm looking at a couple of options right now.

Civilian Top Gun:


Top Gun (Civilian) Riding Course Cost $250.00 for both resident and non-resident

Sharpen your slow riding skills and you will greatly improve your overall skills.

This motorcycle riding course, as presented by former police motor officer/trainer Don Gunn, concentrates on the low-speed maneuvers taught to police officers for the purposes of increasing riding proficiency as well as confidence. Learn to operate a motorcycle at its limits, with emphasis on turning in the smallest area, use of transmission, clutch and brakes for the highest level of control, and practice maximum braking and brake-and-escape maneuvers. Smaller-sized training bikes are used the first day of this two-day course; students are encouraged to use their own (safe, street-legal) bike on the second day. This course is for experienced riders only.


My hubby and I went to a Police Top Gun competition a while back and it was so amazing! I've been wanting to try a class ever since. Talk about confidence building.  I think I need something like that next instead of another riding class. Not that I've mastered anything, just because it might hold my interest a bit more and challenge me in ways I haven't yet been challenged.

And there is this one too offered by a different company. http://www.t3rg.com/Classes.htm#TopGunMotor It looks totally different from the other one. The first is taught by the company I've taken all my classes from. But I'm intrigued by the longer, more expensive class (and also the shorter less expensive class).

The other option is dirt bike school. There's finally a class offered in the metro area. I guess they were waiting for Spring time. That would be totally fun and also build some confidence on the bike but I think the top gun class might have more of an impact on my riding this season. Since I don't have any dirt bike riding buddies yet, I might wait to take that one later.  Right now it would just be 100% for fun. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just if I'm going to pay a couple of hundred bucks I may as well spend it on something I'm more likely to use in the real world. (I do know that there are lots of transferable dirt bike riding skills onto the street. I think it would just be too much of a guilty pleasure right now.)

Well, it sounds like I've convinced myself to do the top gun class....  :-)

1 comment:

  1. The Top Gun riding course sounds pretty interesting. I think that I would be intimidated at taking such a course. Especially after watching some videos of the competitions. But I always feel like I'll never progress beyond being a beginner due to the long winter breaks.

    I just discovered yesterday that our local MSF school finally now offers the ERC.

    ReplyDelete