Monday, September 12, 2011

New Boots!

My old boots busted almost three years to the day I bought them. So, three years and about 20,000 or so miles later, I bought a pair of Gaerne Black Rose. They are similar, almost identical really, to the old TCX that I had. I liked the TCX boots ok but was really looking for something a bit more sturdy and without zippers. Maybe something like this. (Haha! Except for the price tag!) Both zippers failed on the TCX at the same time. Also, the shifter patch on my left boot started coming undone, losing the thread and a bit of the edge. And the back of the heel started coming undone as well on the left boot. So, I felt like I'd worn them out pretty well. But, I also thought it would be nice to have something more sturdy with buckles and more armour. But, guess what. They don't make those for women or even men's in small enough sizes for me. Most of the women's boots have enormous heels, or random buckles or fringe or some crap on them that are more about fashion than function. Not really my style. I was hoping to find something that would be more of a cross between a touring boot and adventure boot or motocross boot. Something I could still walk in but also have some more protection. Oh well. No such luck.

Here are some photos of the old and new boots.
I'm not sure why the toes are so scuffed up. Maybe because I ride so fast. LOL!
 You can sort of see the heel separating on the boot on the right (in the above photo).
Nearly identical soles as well. The new boots are more narrow than the old ones. But, I have a skinny foot so that's ok. They do feel tighter though. But, maybe that's because the old ones were so broken in. Otherwise the really feel the same. Hopefully I'll get as many miles or more on these. My starting mileage for these is about 18,700 or so. :-)

4 comments:

  1. I've looked at motorcycle specific boots many times but haven't been able to justify them (especially those nice Sidi ones). When I took the MSF class, bought a pair of work boots and I'm still waiting for them to wear out.

    The toes must be scuffed from leaning in the corners, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so hard to find women specific motorcycle boots. I too will be searching for some as the ones I have aren't waterproof.

    It looks like you managed to find a great pair even if you ended up with zippers again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a new pair of riding boots but I've been too lazy to start sorting out brands. The ones I have are no longer made. A tip of the helmet to you for actually making the purchase!

    Hope they work out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got to test the boots in a steady rain on my commute home on Wednesday. The boots were about the only piece of gear that really worked 100%. Sigh. That will be my next blog post. My iPhone drowned in my jacket pocket. :-(

    ReplyDelete