Monday, May 5, 2014

Dusted off the Spider Webs!

Today, I rode to work. :-)


That could be my entire blog post right there. It's been so long, that alone feels like monumental news.

I used to think I wasn't a very competitive person. I know some competitive people, friends and family. I suppose I am just more subtle about it or at least I think I am. When I got on the bike this morning the first thing I did was look at the mileage. I remember being quite bummed when the Forester had more miles on it than the GS. I wasn't sure why but I have come to realize it's my competitive nature. I took great pride in being a year rounder, riding in conditions others wouldn't. Putting the miles on the motos rather than the cars. This carries over into lots of other things I do as well. When I was leaving my old CrossFit gym I remember breaking my "check in" record on Foursquare for the number of consecutive weeks I'd been there. That was very satisfying for me to make that milestone before having to start over at a new place.

This morning I thought about how I'd been tracking my moto miles on this blog. I remembered thinking or writing that I could keep track better if I counted from our anniversary rather than the first of the year. But then last year, we didn't ever ride the motos for our anniversary trip. This year, because of my new job responsibilities, I'm not sure we will even take a trip on our anniversary. This hasn't upset me as much as I thought it would.

It's not the miles that count. Maybe it's my age (45) or maybe it's just life. Maybe it's being in this new job that has given me a more positive perspective on things and has offered me the chance to reflect a bit. My life is pretty darn good. It really is. Not many people really feel that way. We have our struggles and worries for sure but, when it comes down to it, we are happy, healthy, and have two motos in the garage ready to hit the road on a whim if we like. How awesome is that?

We will continue to take those rides and add some miles to our bikes but, the total number of miles will not be what we reflect on in the end. It's the number of smiles, the amount of laughter, and the memories that we will cherish the most.

Ride safe everyone! :-)


4 comments:

  1. Allaina:

    Don't be consumed with the need to ride all the time. It's not the quantity, but the quality of riding miles that count the most. Just ride when you can. I like your covered parking

    Congrats on your weight loss. Do we get to see your new riding attire ?

    bob
    A weekend photographer or Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last paragraph said it all. I always enjoy reading your posts on both blogs especially your commentary on jour G650GS. About the only newer bike I have ever even considered. As far as running, I've think that I've written that one off after the misery of the last marathon and will stick with walking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wel said. It isn't about the total miles, it is the quality of those miles. Or at least I try to tell myself when we don't ride very much. :-)

    Keep smiling and ride when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I will post some photos and reviews of my new mesh pants. I'm still working on the rest of the new gear. I'm really considering that nice women's Schuberth helmet too. It fits my little head so well it could very well be worth every penny. I just haven't convinced myself I can part with all those pennies right now.

    ReplyDelete