Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Honda Magna....some day, my next moto....

I've been on travel, both for work and for vacation, for about 3 weeks. So, I haven't had much time in the saddle of my GS lately. Even before I left for my work trip to Fairbanks, I hadn't been riding very much. I think it was the weather or too busy or something. I don't really remember. And it isn't important now. Now, the weather has warmed, the days are longer, and the campus is on summer hours, which means less traffic during the morning and evening rush hours.

I traveled to the University of Alaska in Fairbanks. (Apologies to Richard for not getting in touch.) I worked a lot and didn't get to do much vacationing. I did manage to run a 5K while there. No motorcycling though. :-)

My vacation to Atlanta did allow for some motorcycling. :-)  I visited my brother who recently purchased a 1994 Honda Magna. Oh yeah! He rode his CBR and I rode the Magna. I've always wanted a Magna but have only ever sat on one once at the dealership. So, my experience with them has been non-existent. I'm not even sure why I've fallen in love with this old moto. Well... I am now. :-)

Here is my big brother checking the tire pressure before our ride. The yellow Magna is so sweet! His CBR is in the back.
Look at how happy I am!

 I have so much motorcycle gear, I mailed my boots, jacket, and gloves. I also carried on my helmet and left it behind for future visits.

Ahhh.... it's such a comfortable motorcycle. :-)

We managed one ride the day after I arrived. Then we celebrated my mother's birthday the next day. The day after that we drove to Indianapolis to attend the Indy 500. Oh, did I mention that?  Here we are outside the gate ready with our tickets. And here's a view of me from our seats.



On the way to our seats we spotted this beauty.


It was our fourth time going. Awesome! Next time we will have to ride there now that my brother has the Magna. He can ride the Magna and I'll rent something.

I happened to be back in Atlanta in time for Bike Night downtown. My brother and some of his buddies occasionally hang out at this event. It was pretty fun to be a part of that scene. We don't do much of that at home. I'm not sure why. It's mostly sport bikes on display there. I rode the Magna again. :-)

By the time I got home, I'd been away from my GS for a long time. The day after I got home, my hubby and I rode 170 miles visiting his sister and brother-in-law. She just bought a 2011 G650GS. Woot! Unfortunately, they are about to move farther away from us. Boo! Here's her shiny new red GS.

 
I was quite exhausted from all the traveling but have been commuting fearlessly since I've been back (3 days). I'm getting used to the GS again after being on the Magna. My little GS did feel quite under powered and slow at first but... I still love it. Ok, gotta go search Craig's List for my own yellow Magna to add to the fleet. My brother needs a bike to ride when he comes to visit us in Colorado! ;-)

5 comments:

  1. Too bad I didn't get to meet you while you were in Fairbanks. Were you at the library?

    Years ago, I was looking at a Honda Magna but thought it was too complicated of a bike. I was looking for simplicity (air cooled, carbs, no electronic anything) at the time. But I do like the way they look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did visit one person in the library but I spent most of my time at the Geodata Center at the Geophysical Institute. I was not sure how much actual work I'd need to do while I was there but ended up spending about 40 hours on work that week.

    That Magna certainly felt heavy but once it was rolling, it felt very nimble and light. As used bikes go, it's in very good shape as far as I could tell. If it were mine, I'd change a few things about how it's set up. My brother has wanted one for a while. I'm glad he found one he can enjoy. And that I can enjoy too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My office is in the white building just across the parking lot from GI/IARC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know Honda made a recliner until now. :)

    Wow, you've been up to plenty.

    Coming from riding a Symba the GS is a pretty big bike. It's difficult for me to even comprehend riding a Magna.

    Thanks for the update and the share.
    ~k

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ride a Beemer, like me, and fall for a cruiser, and a big and heavy one no less. Don't tell anybody, but lately I have also started eying at some cruisers.

    ReplyDelete