Thursday, June 30, 2011

Successful Braking

I'm investigating taking a motorcycle safety class. I can't decide if I should take another advanced course to get more practice or something different. I'm leaning towards the Civilian Top Gun course. I think it will help me feel more comfortable on the bike. Not that I'm uncomfortable, but I think it will push me out of my comfort zone a little and teach me some things I think I already know.

On the way home today I got to use some of my previous training skills. Leaving Boulder on highway 93, the road heading south out of town is two lanes heading up the hill but merges into one lane just before the intersection with highway 170. There is a stop light here as well. Traffic often becomes backed up because no one in this state knows how to merge. Coming over the hill, with all of the traffic, it's difficult to see ahead. Traffic slowed to a stop very rapidly at this point. It was not quite an emergency stop but it was a quick stop. Not only did I apply enough gradual braking to stop safely, I even maneuvered myself into a position with an escape route. I was able to anticipate the car behind me as I shifted to the right part of the lane near the open shoulder. Everyone managed their own vehicles ok so there wasn't anything really to write about beyond that.

Since I'd been thinking about motorcycle classes and how often I think I should invest in them, this lesson put into practice sort of sealed the deal. Now I just need to find the time and the funds. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment